|Title||Aerial View of Lake Winnebago Region|
|Object Name||Postcard, Lithographic|
|Description||A lithographic postcard of the "Rockwell Light House" and boathouse in Oshkosh Wisconsin.|
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Collection||/Fox RiverPostcard Collection|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
A lithographic postcard of the "Rockwell Light House" and boathouse in Oshkosh Wisconsin.
The light house was located at Bray's Point near the mouth of the Fox River at Lake Winnebago, where Bay Shore Dr. turns into Lake St..
The lighthouse's architect was George Andrew Rockwell, a friend of William M. Bray, owner of the property known as Bray's Point. Mr. Bray was a member of the state legislature and later a lumberman in the state of Oregon. The lighthouse was designed in 1909, but soon after the final drawing was finished Mr. Rockwell died unexpectedly at the age of 41. The lighthouse itself was built in 1911. Along with the lighthouse a boathouse was built and a home that was already on the property was remodeled. Mr. Bray entertained President Taft at his home in 1911.
The property was sold to Harry C. Stutz, maker of the "Stutz Bearcat" automobile. Mr. Stutz sold the property just 16 months later to Frank H. Wheeler, a member of the Stutz firm. A prominent Oshkosh attorney by the name of John C. Thompson, purchased the property in 1918 and went on to repair the lighthouse and enlarge and remodeled the house. The property was sold once again in mid-1940's to the Mr. & Mrs. John Buckstaff, they built a new ranch style home on the grounds shortly after.
During the ownership of the Thompson family the lighthouse was the only government-licensed inland lighthouse. Mr. Thompson was the official light keeper and was responsible for keeping the light on 24 hours a day. The Cook & Brown Lime Co. took over the lighthouse duties later and ran the building into the late 1930's
The architect George Andrew Rockwell, was a Oshkosh native and the son of Wisconsin lumberman A. G. Rockwell. He graduated from Oshkosh High School and Cornell University. He was involved in several business with his brother, Thomas, running gas firms in Neenah, Appleton and northern Wisconsin. He sold his interests in the firms and concentrated on his architectural work from his Oshkosh studio. He specialized in landscaping.
The name of the point has always carried the name of the current owner of the property.
Similar to p2003.20.676