|Description||Albumen stereoview prints of Steamboat "Camera".|
Lockwood, William M.
Lakes & ponds
|Photographer||Lockwood, William M.|
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Cross, Scott|
Stereoview albumen print of steamboat "Camera". The boat is docked on the shore of Green Lake. Printed at the bottom right hand corner is "Como Bay Landing", which is located on the south side of the lake. The "Camera" was owned by the photographer William M. Lockwood. A large number of people are on the boat. An 1879 article in the Northwestern mentions him getting the boat ready again for the summer season. This is a part of a series labeled "Green Lake Scenery" by William M. Lockwood.
William Maynard Lockwood was born in Jordan, New York on April 13, 1835, the son of Henry Fayette Lockwood and Eliza A. Freeman Lockwood. Henry Lockwood died when William was only eighteen months old. His grandparents and widowed mother moved to Plainfield, Will County, Illinois, in 1839. His grandfather, Thomas D. Freeman, is listed in the 1840 US Census as residing there with a family of eleven. When William was five years old he fractured his leg so severely that the leg had to be amputated by the time he was eleven years old. His mother married Thomas C. Sanborn and in 1848 they moved to Chester, Dodge County, Wisconsin where they lived for four years. The family is listed there in 1850, including William, three half-sisters, and his grandparents, Thomas D. and Lavinia Freeman.
Lockwood learned the photography trade from "Professor" C. Bailey and established himself in Waupon, Dodge County, Wisconsin. He states that in 1856 he moved to Oshkosh, where he briefly had a studio. However, he advertised in the Dodge County Citizen from June 27, 1856 through at least March 17, 1857 for his "Lockwood's Excelsior Daguerreian Gallery" in Waupon. He was in Ripon later in 1857. He married Eunice N. Snyder in Elo, Wisconsin on September 29, 1857. In the 1860 US Census he is listed as a Daguerrian Artist, living in the 1st Ward, Ripon, Wisconsin with his wife Eunice and his sister-in-law, Lucy J. Snyder (later the wife of Oshkosh photographer Cook Ely). They are listed in the 1870 US Census in Ripon, with daughter Ada Lockwood age sixteen, and E. Deenham, age twenty-six and a photographer. He advertised in the Racine County Argus on May 4, 1871 for Lockwood and Ely (Cook Ely), Photographic Artists, at 142 Main Street in Racine. In 1875 his studio burned to the ground. Lockwood's Temple of Photographic Art was opened later that year and operated by William N. Lockwood and his wife, Eunice N. Lockwood, in Ripon, WI through the later 1870s and 1880s. William also maintained a branch studio in Fond du Lac, from 1874-1876. Lockwood was an active yachtsman and in 1879 he operated a steam pleasure yacht, the "Camera" on Green Lake. He also purchased the "Minnehaha" and ran it on Green Lake in 1880. William and Eunice are listed in the 1880 US Census as a photographer in Ripon. Also listed with them is an assistant, William H. Allen. Lockwood traveled extensively with his stereoview camera and portable dark room. He made a series of stereoview images in Oshkosh of Clark Match Works; the city from the top of the High School; Main Street; Ripon College and Oakwood Resort in Green Lake.
F. Jay Haynes, later to become famous for his western photographs, came to work for him in March 1875. Haynes married the sister of Eunice N. Snyder Lockwood, Lily Verna Snyder, in 1878. Haynes moved to Moorhead, MN in 1876 and in 1879 he moved to Fargo. Photographer Cook Ely was also married to a sister, Lucy Jane Snyder.
An article in the Oshkosh Northwestern, dated January 24, 1883, announced that Eunice N. Lockwood, the artist and divorced wife of W. M. Lockwood, would be opening a photograph gallery in Ripon in April of that year. She re-married in Fond du Lac County on October 27, 1889, Joseph B. Davison. According to the Pedrick Genealogy Note Books, Ripon College, Eunice divorced William and set up a rival gallery in Ripon. "Local sentiment was with her, and thereafter she did the bulk of business in that line." William Lockwood married Mary Foch on December 12, 1883 according to the Fond du lac County Marriage Records. However, the Oshkosh Daily Northwestern announced his marriage to Nellie Moore on the same date. Lockwood left Ripon in the 1890s. William disappears from the records after 1889, when he is listed in the Portrait and Biographical Album of Fond du Lac County. He could not be located in the 1900 US Census, but a William Lockwood died in Milwaukee on August 29, 1902.