Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title T. Neville Carriage Works
Catalog Number P2011.24.5
Accession number 2011.24
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Gelatin print of the T. Neville Carriage Works.
Date circa 1971
People Neville, Thomas
Subjects Carriage makers
Church Avenue
Light Street
Division Street
Automobiles
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Collection City of Oshkosh
Catalog date 2014-01-15
Cataloged by Cross, Scott
Medium Photographic Paper
Notes View of the T. Neville Carriage Works located on the south east corner of Church Avenue and Light Street (current Division Street) in Oshkosh. The view was taken on Church Avenue looking south along Division Street and shows the front facade of the building. Part of a series of images taken prior to demolition in 1971. Thomas Neville had been a carriage maker in Chicago by 1873, before relocating to Oshkosh in 1879. He was in Partnership In Parsons & Neville and in Neville & Rudd before beginning his own company prior to 1883. The structure in this image was built about 1895 and replaced an earlier wooden structure. The company manufactured high quality carriages and wagons and in the early 20th century began making automobile carriages. They closed about 1925. The structure was then used by Johnson Foods and by Projectograph. It was demolished in 1971 and has been a parking lot since that date.
Orig/copy Original