|Title||State Normal School|
|Object Name||Postcard, Lithographic|
|Description||Lithographic postcard of State Normal School, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.|
State Normal School (Oshkosh)
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
A lithographic postcard of the State Normal School at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
This is the Southern side of the building facing Algoma Blvd. The original William Waters designed school was built in 1869-1870, but stood empty for a full year because of the lack of operating funds and did not open until September 12, 1871. The first school year started with 43 students and finished the year with 173 scholars. The Normal Schools first president, George Summner Albee served from 1871 until his death in 1898. He was followed by: Rufus Halsey 1899-1907, John Kieth 1907-1917, and Harry Brown 1917-1930. The State Normal School became the Oshkosh State Teachers College in 1925. Additions to the building started in 1874 when a two story addition was added to the North end of the school. The year 1876 saw the adding of a library and model school. In 1886 a gymnasium was built and in 1894 a classroom and assembly hall were finished. 1900 a new science addition was completed and in 1909 a new free standing gymnasium was built. On March 22, 1916 a fire gutted the building, which lead to the razing of the entire structure with the exception of the 1909 gymnasium (this building was razed 1963 for the Polk Library). A new Normal School was built on the same site in 1917 and called Dempsey Hall, which now serves the as a administration building.
State Normal School 1871-1924
State Teachers College 1925-1948
Wisconsin State College - Oshkosh 1949-1963
Wisconsin State University - Oshkosh 1964 -
Information from:WSU-O History. Glancing Back to 1871. A Century of Service.