|Title||Oshkosh Fire Dept. Ladder Wagon|
|Object Name||Postcard, Lithographic|
|Description||Lithographic postcard showing horse drawn ladder wagon of the Oshkosh Fire Department, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.|
Kelly, Edward F.
Brauer, Robert A.
Powers, Rufus S.
Nodine, George A.
Wood, Charles D.
Oshkosh City Hall
Oshkosh Fire Department
Fire engines & equipment
State Street Fire House
Horse drawn vehicles
Street railroad tracks
Fire House No. 5
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
Lithographic postcard showing horse drawn ladder wagon of the Oshkosh Fire Department and the chief's carriage. The picture was taken on State St. and shows both the fire house and a portion of city hall to the left. The ladder house was built 1899, and razed in 1970, when the station at Ceape and Court St. went on line. Written on back : " Buggy L-R Robert Brauer, Chief. Rufus Powers. Hook & Ladder L-R Thomas Roche, Greorge Nodine, Edward Kelly George Revland, Nick Strannen (should be Stranen), Charles Wood,Civilian unidentified. Past 1882 before 1910." George A. Nodine was the Capt. of the State St. Fire House at the time of this
The "Ross Property" was purchased in 1886 for approximately $3000 for the new city hall and Oshkosh architect William Waters, was selected to draw up the building. On March 16, 1887, the city awarded Charles Shey & Company, Milwaukee, the bid for construction and Oshkosh resident and then current chief of police was picked to be the general contractor. The first stone for the foundation was set on March 31, 1887, with the cornerstone laid on May 30th of 1887. The official opening was held on May 30, 1888, with an open house and music provided by the Arion Orchestra. An old city ledger put the cost of construction at $33,626. This was Oshkosh's first owned & self contained city hall. The building was razed in January of 1964, by the Madison Wrecking Co., Oshkosh. The building was located on the Northwest corner of Otter & State St.
Oshkosh Daily Northwestern 1,4,1964.