Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Trinity Episcopal Church
Catalog Number p2003.20.43
Object Name Postcard, Lithographic
Description Horizontal lithographic postcard of Trinity Episcopal Church.
Date 1905-1915
Subjects Churches
Religious dwellings
Religious facilities
Episcopal churches
Trinity Episcopal Church
Algoma Boulevard
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Collection Postcard
Catalog date 2004-01-14
Cataloged by Radig, Dan
Medium Cardstock/Ink
Notes Trinity Episcopal Church was formed in 1850, with Rev. Franklin R. Haff holding the first services at the court house, later services were held above the Raymond's store at Main & Otter. The first official name was St. Peter's Episcopal Church, but since there was a St. Peter's Catholic Church the name was changed to Trinity Episcopal Church on May 11, 1854. On June 30, 1856, the corner stone for a new church was laid with the building being completed in 1857. A mission church was formed in 1868, on the south side called Grace Chapel at the corner of 11th & Minnesota St. This building was later purchased by First English Lutheran. Two more mission churches were built on the north side, one at Jefferson & Melvin called St. Paul's and the other at Winnebago near Bowen called Kemper. The mission churches were discontinued in the 1890's after transportation became easier. The corner stone of the current church was laid on July 31, 1887, with services held in the basement in December of the same year. The year 1889, saw the first service held in the new church on Christmas Eve. A new hall called the Woman's Guild Hall was built just to the South of the church in 1917-18.


1850-1854 Rev. Franklin R. Haff
1854-1859 Rev. David W. Tolford
1859-1870 Rev. Franklin R. Haff
1871-1875 Rev. Robert N. Park
1875-1885 Rev. Franklin R. Haff
1885-1915 Rev. John W. Greenwood
1915-1916 Rev. J. S. Budlong
1917-1926 Rev. Edwin W. Todd

(From Oshkosh 100 Years a City 1853-1953 & History of Oshkosh 1938)
Orig/copy Original