|Title||Oshkosh Brewing Company Demolition|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Black and white photographic print of the demolition of the Oshkosh Brewing Company, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Winnebago County.|
Oshkosh Brewing Company
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Collection||Oshkosh Brewing Company|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
Part of a series of images showing the demolition of the Oshkosh Brewing Company, Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Close up view of the Oshkosh Brewing Company Trade Mark, located above the door on the brewery building. This structure was built in 1911. Taken prior to the demolition of the building in December 1986. This shows the back of the brewery taken from 16th Ave. near South Main St.
The history of the Oshkosh Brewery dates back to 1866 when August Horn and Lenhardt Schwalm established what was known as the Brooklyn Brewery, located on the South Side of the Fox River. The two men built their first brewery at 631 Doty St. A large two-story frame building with the living quarters for both families on the second floor. The building was destroyed by fire in 1879 and was replaced by a new brick building on the same site. The year 1911 saw a new brewery built in front the older building, the older building was converted into the bottling department. The year 1894 was an important date in history for the brewery. In April of that year the Horn & Schawlm brewery merged with two other firms, the John Glatz & Son Brewery and the Lorenz Kuenzel Brewery, a move that resulted in the Oshkosh Brewing Company. August Horn was the company's first president, serving from 1894-1904.
When the Oshkosh Brewing Company closed on October 18, 1971 the Chief Oshkosh, Badger, Rahr’s, and Lebrau brands were sold to The Peoples Brewing Company also located in Oshkosh. On November 8, 1972 The Peoples Brewing Company halted beer production and in 1973 the company’s assets were put up for auction.