|Title||Power Plant at the Winnebago County Insane Asylum|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Gelatin print of the Power Plant at the Winnebago County Insane Asylum.|
Winnebago County Insane Asylum
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Collection||Manuel & Grueder|
|Cataloged by||Cross, Scott|
Image of the Power Plant at the Winnebago County Insane Asylum. The new structure with smokstack is at left and several small workers cottages are at right. Taken shortly after its construction in 1930.
The Winnebago County Asylum and Poor Farm (Workhouse) was first established with the purchase of 120 acres in section 25 and 36 in the Town of Oshkosh in 1865. It expanded over time to include 527 acres. The County Asylum (later the County Hospital) was established to care for the incurably insane. The Poor Farm, or Workhouse (later County Home), was established for those committed by a court and borders who paid their own way (generally a very small percentage of the population). By 1870 two buildings had been constructed. A brick structure for the Poor Farm was designed by William Waters and built by Anton Nielsen in 1906 and was destroyed by fire in 1944. The brick asylum building was designed by William Waters and constructed by Joseph Webber in 1893 and torn down about 1960. A more modern building was constructed circa 1953. Many other buildings were added over the years and a large complex of structures were located on the property.