|Title||St. Johns Evangelical Lutheran Church|
|Object Name||Postcard, Lithographic|
|Description||Horizontal lithographic postcard of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church.|
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
A three quarter view of St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church c1915.
The congregation was organized September 27, 1907. The first house of worship was a residence that was at the corner of Wisconsin & Union St. purchased on April 30, 1908. The home's first floor was used for services,it was razed by a controlled burn by the Oshkosh Fire Dept. in 1916, to make room for a apartment building built for August Pitz. The present church at North Main & East Lincoln Sts. was completed and dedicated on November 21, 1915. A parsonage was built in 1920-1921, with the work being done by the men of the congregation. The church's bell was purchased in 1923, from Winnebago County, which was from the old Winnebago County Court House.