|Title||William J. Wagstaff House|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Gelatin print on cardstock of the William J. Wagstaff House.|
Wagstaff, William J.
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Collection||Found in Collection|
|Cataloged by||Cross, Scott|
Outdoor image of the William J. Wagstaff House, 1133 Algoma Boulevard. William J. Wagstaff, a wealthy Oshkosh lumberman, purchased a house on this property in 1890. In 1898 he built a more impressive dwelling in the Queen Anne Style on the same site. The house was built entirely of native Wisconsin lumber and a wide variety of the finest hardwoods were used in the interior. He lived here with his wife Bertha and children Clarence, George, and Ruby. The house remained in the Wagstaff family until they moved out in 1940. The house stood vacant until it was sold to Robert W. Lechleiter in 1941. In 1957, his widow Mary became a housemother for the university and rented rooms to female students. In 1961 Dr. Gerald G. Reed, a professor at Wisconsin State Teacher's College purchased the house. He also rented rooms out to students. After 1980 the house went through several owners and the second floor had been converted into an apartment. In 1991 Joseph C. Smith, a sociology professor at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and his wife Joy purchased the house and restored it back to a single-family dwelling. Elements of the Queen Anne Style of architecture found in this house are the central hipped roof, swags, projecting gables, horizontal and shingle siding, wrap around porch, and circular bays. The house in a fairly good state of preservation with the exception of the removal of a projecting third floor gable with its shingle siding following a fire in 1941 and the second floor balustrade above the porch. The interior woodwork and fireplaces are all intact.