|Title||Oshkosh Public Library|
|Object Name||Postcard, Lithographic|
|Description||Lithographic postcard of Oshkosh Public Library in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.|
Oshkosh Public Library
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
Lithographic postcard of Oshkosh Public Library in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Winnebago County.
In June of 1895 after the death of Mrs. Marshall Harris, it was found that she had willed her entire estate which amounted to $75,000 to the city of Oshkosh. The city was required by conditions in the will to build the Public Library on the homestead and maintain it for public library purposes. Also, within three years of opening the will, an equal some had to be raised by the city. To meet these condition , Senator Philteus Sawyer donated $25,000 and the city bonded $51,000. The Barber house was bought for $9,000 so the Public Library could extend from Mt. Vernon St. to Jefferson Ave. on Washington St. Ground was broken in the fall of 1898 with William Waters as architect; the cornerstone was dedicated May 30, 1899, and on September 3, 1900 the building was opened The bronze lions, the work of Gaetano Tretanove, were presented by Colonel Hicks on October 9, 1912. On November 29, 1905 the museum opened in the library and remained there until 1924.
( Oshkosh One Hundred Years a City 1853-1953)