|Title||George W. Van Every Residence|
|Object Name||Postcard, Photographic|
|Description||A photographic postcard of the George W. Van Every Home, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Winnebago County. c1908|
Van Every, George W.
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
|Medium||Cardstock/Photographic Emulsion/Photographic Paper|
A photographic postcard of the George W. Van Every Home, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Winnebago County. c1908
Outdoor image of the Heberle-Van Every House. The house is a large Italianate style frame structure with hipped roof; brackets below the eaves; and elaborate porches. The house is located on the north west corner of Irving and Wright at 504 West Irving Avenue. It was built in 1872 by Jacob Heberle, an Oshkosh haberdasher. He sold the house to James C. Snell in 1876, but Snell apparently never lived in it. Snell sold the house in 1883 to George W. Van Every, a lumberman who owned a shingle mill. His daughter Stella lived in the house until about 1950. The house is still standing, but has been extensively remodelled and lacks any historical integrity. The original address was 160 West Irving Avenue.
George W. Van Every was born in New York in 1832. His wife Mary J. McMillen Van Every was born there in 1833. Van Every settled in Oshkosh prior to 1868 and worked for McMillen Lumber and later owned his own shingle mill (Myers & Van Every 1869-1879 and then operated under his own name for one or two years after). The couple had three children: Cora Belle, born in Oshkosh 1868; Stella, born 1875; and John M., born July 28, 1882. He died circa 1921 in Oshkosh.