|Title||Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Depot|
|Object Name||Postcard, Lithographic|
|Description||Lithographic postcard of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Depot at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.|
Chicago and Northwestern Railroad
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
Lithographic postcard of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Depot at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
The Chicago & Northwest Railroad first came to Oshkosh, on October 13, 1859, but at that time the tracks stopped near the South side of the Fox River. The rail cars were loaded onto barges and floated across the river and then put back on the tracks to continue. This changed in 1861, when a bridge was constructed.
The only depot for the railroad was small wooden structure on the South side of the river, this served the city until 1884, when the Chicago & Northwestern built a new depot of brick on the North side of the Fox. The new building cost $15,000 and was opened for business on December 1, 1884 (from the Oshkosh Northwestern dated 12,1,1884). It was built by Clark & Fuller of Chicago.
For short period of time both depots were open for rail traffic.
The last passengers on this line were picked up on June 31,1971, by the Pennisula "400".
Postmarked: Oshkosh 1-14-1910