Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title destruction of the Fair Grounds after the Cyclone
Catalog Number P2012.10.37
Object Name Stereoview
Description Albumen prints on cardstock showing the destruction of the Fair Grounds after the Cyclone.
Date 1885
Event Oshkosh Cyclone of 1885
Subjects Oshkosh Streets
Disaster victims
Winnebago County Fair Association
Fair grounds
Jackson Street
Exhibition buildings
Photographer Luck, Tobias
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Collection Found in Collection
Catalog date 2012-08-31
Cataloged by Cross, Scott
Medium Cardstock/Photographic Paper/Ink
Notes Alternate view of the total destruction of the Winnebago County Fair Grounds on Jackson Street after the Cyclone of 1885.
On July 8, 1885 a series of possibly three tornadoes or cyclones struck the City of Oshkosh from the west. One went through the north part of town near New York Avenue and destroyed the Fair grounds. A second went east along 16th Avenue to the lake, and a possible third went down the Fox River. Horn & Schwalm Brewery on Kansas (South Main) was damaged; the houses at Doty & 16th; Oregon & 16th suffering the worst with Henry Hoffmann's Grocery Store and the houses of August Kargus, Robert Webster, Frank Mirkes. Damage was reported throughout the city.
Orig/copy Original