Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title American Excelsior Corporation Building
Catalog Number P2001.28.8
Accession number 2000.28
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Color print of American Excelsior Corporation Building.
Date 1976-1976
Subjects Industry
American Excelsior Corporation
Demolition
Ohio Street
Photographer Jungwirth, Richard
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Collection Helm Estate
Catalog date 2006-05-09
Cataloged by Cross, Scott
Medium Photographic Paper
Neg # 23280
Notes View taken of one of the American Excelsior Corporation Buildings, just prior to demolition in 1980. The company was incorporated in 1904 by former Mayor William Dichmann. One year later Charles A. Wakeman purchased an interest in the company and became treasurer. The year 1918 saw the company being sold to H. W. Selle and the name changed to Oshkosh Wrapper Company. At this time excelsior replace hay as the filler. From 1920-1924 corrugated boxes were manufactured. The box division was sold to Oshkosh Corrugated Box Company in 1924. In 1932, a merger of the H. W. Selle Co. & Excelsior Wrapper Co. and the named changed to American Excelsior Corporation. The home office in Arlington, Texas. The company moved it's operations to Rice Lake, Wisconsin in 1976. The plant was located near the river on the East side of Ohio St.
Orig/copy Original