|Title||Worker's of the Oshkosh Grass Matting Company|
|Object Name||Postcard, Photographic|
|Description||Photographic postcard showing employee's of the Oshkosh Grass Matting Company, at a camp near Montello, Wisconsin.|
Oshkosh Grass Matting Company
Deltox Grass Rug Company
Deltox Rug Company
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
|Medium||Cardstock/Photographic Paper/Photographic Emulsion|
Photographic postcard showing employee's of the Oshkosh Grass Matting Company near Montello, Wisconsin.
Emil H. Steiger started the business by contacting several Oshkosh businessmen about his idea to produce rugs from the rugged wiregrass. Leander Choate, a banker and lumberman, and R. C. Brown became interested and in 1902 formed a partnership known as the Oshkosh Grass Matting Company. In 1903, the first rugs were sold to Marshall Field & Co. of Chicago, and soon after that all through the United States.
In the year 1914 the corporate name was change to Deltox Grass Rug Co. and operated under the name for five years. A change in production started in 1919, when a new fabric made of twisted wood pulp was used and the wiregrass was slowly faded out until 1924, when grass rugs were no longer manufactured. The name of the company was also changed to the Deltox Rug Co. Emil H. Steiger died in 1929, and his two sons, Carl & Emil took over operation of the company. With consumers tastes for wall-to-wall carpeting, the large rugs of Deltox were no longer in fashion and sales began to drop.
The last day of Deltox Inc. came on January 31, 1968, when the last rugs were manufactured. At it's peak the company had over 400 employees. The factory was located on Wisconsin St. just over the Wisconsin-Ohio St. bridge on the West side. Typed on back:"A bunch of wiregrass men on the marshes near Montello, Wis."