Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Mercy Hospital
Catalog Number p2003.20.197
Object Name Postcard, Photographic
Description Photographic postcard of Mercy Hospital in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
Date 1938-1948
Subjects Hospitals
Mercy Hospital
Hazel Street
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Collection Postcard
Catalog date 2004-01-14
Cataloged by Radig, Dan
Medium Cardstock/Ink
Notes The Mercy Hospital on Hazel Street was designed by William Waters and built by C. R. Meyer & Sons Company in 1912 and completed in 1913 through the efforts of Dr. M. E. Colbett and was originally named Lakeside Sanitarium. In 1918 Lakeside became the property of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother who renamed it Mercy Hospital. In 1922 the Sisters began working on a much needed expansion. The North wing was added to the hospital increasing the capacity to 150 beds. At this time the chapel, convent, laundry and powerhouse were built. The original building is completely encased in this addition. With the passing of time, the size of the hospital was again found insufficient to meet the needs of the community and in 1938 the south wing was added bringing capacity to two hundred and fourteen. The building was last used as a hospital in 2000 when the new Mercy Hospital on Oakwood road was completed.
Orig/copy Original