|Title||Stein's Employees on Vacation|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Gelatin print of Stein's Employees on Vacation.|
Brickham, Irene E.
Kolf, Margaret E.
Bloedow, Leona H
Dlugolenski, Mary A.
Knaus, Karl L.
Knaus, Lydia L.
Achtmann, Hattie C.
Riske, Herman A.
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Cross, Scott|
Group photograph of Stein's Employees on Vacation. They are seated and standing in a park like setting with stone steps and a carved image of a Native American. No location is given buy probably in Wisconsin. Many of the people are identified on a separate piece of paper.
Stein's was located at 123 Church Ave. just past Jackson St. in the area of the Safety Building. The building was built as a home for George Gates and his family in 1889. Mr. Gates, was the manager for the Diamond Match Co. The home was sold to C. W. George Everharts around 1907 and stayed in the family until Frank Stein bought the home in 1924. Frank Stein & Co. opened for business on September 15, 1924. The store sold mostly women's fine fashions and had four tea rooms throughout the old mansion. While dining, the guest would listen to the music of the two-story Hook & Hastings pipe organ. On September 30, 1947, Mr. Stein's "Beautiful Lady" was ruined by fire. Frank Stein started his interest in the retail business when he was a young teenager working for S. T. Moody, on Oregon St. He later work for Seymour Heymann & Co. on Main St. where he worked his way to one of the Vice President positions. Frank Stein & Co. was formed around 1912 and opened a women's wear shop called "The Style Inn" at 139-141 Main St. until he moved his business to the Church Ave. address in 1924. Frank Stein b: 10-13-1874 d: 2-6-1950