Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Menominee Park, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Catalog Number P2008.19.21
Accession number 2008.19
Object Name Postcard, Lithographic
Description A lithographic postcard of North Park (Menominee Park) , Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Winnebago County.

Date 1907-1915
Subjects Parks
Menominee Park
North Park
Lake Winnebago
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Collection Tanner
Catalog date 2008-09-17
Cataloged by Radig, Dan
Medium Cardstock/Ink
Notes A lithographic postcard of North Park (Menominee Park) , Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Winnebago County.

Image of North Park (Menominee Park) along the lake side looking south toward the bathing beach. c1907

Same as: p2003.20.1249

The land that eventually became Menominee Park was first the personal property of Colonel Lucas Miller, and was called "Bonnie View Park". He purchased the property on March 28, 1854, from Clark Dickenson. The first owner of the land was David Evans, who sold it to Clark Dickenson (first minister in Oshkosh) in 1849. Miller built an Italianate mansion on his farm overlooking Lake Winnebago in 1854, which was located near the end of Merritt Avenue. In the year 1948 the Miller house was converted from the "park-keepers" house to a concession stand and continued to serve in that capacity until 1976 when it was razed.

From: Museum Menominee Park File.

When mayor E. E. Stevens purchased the land that became Menominee Park, from Col. Miller it caused such an uproar the he was defeated in the following election. The cost of $25,000 for property they considered swampland was too much for the aldermen and citizens alike. The property agreement was signed on November 25, 1889, and the first payment was made at the close of Stevenson's term in 1890 with the final payment made in 1894. The park was officially named North Park in August of 1890 along with South Park.

From: Museum Menominee Park File.

Professor D. M. Greene (most likely David Maxson Greene 1832-1905) from Troy, NY, was given the job of designing the layout for the park in 1890 . In 1892 the swampy areas were filled in and the lagoons dredged. When Edward Burgert became the "park-keeper" he was given credit for improving the swimming area of the park with bathhouses in 1903, rip rap along the lake and first lagoon was installed, the current bathhouse was open to the public on June 28, 1913. The island breakwater was constructed and numerous trees planted. A small bridge that crossed the lagoon nearest the bay was removed in 1903 and a new bridge build further west crossing at the narrows of the park lagoons this bridge was replace by the walking bridge that spanned the lagoon where the stone bridge is located now, the stone bridge was dedicated on July 4, 1921. The park's name was changed to Menominee Park on August 24, 1911.

Fish Hatchery

The Menominee Park hatchery was the selected site for a new state hatchery in 1898 with construction starting in 1899 and was operating by 1900. In 1915 the Larson Construction Co. won the contract to upgrade & move the hatchery buildings from the lagoon at Menominee Park to the Lake Shore Drive .

Lucas Militiades Miller (1824-1902)

He was a Representative from Wisconsin; born in Livadia, Greece, September 15, 1824; was left an orphan at the age of four, when he was adopted by J.P. Miller, an American who served as a colonel in the Greek Army during the Greek revolution; accompanied his foster father upon his return to the United States and settled in Montpelier, Vt., in 1828; attended the common schools; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1845 and commenced practice in Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wis., in 1846; also engaged in agricultural pursuits; served as colonel of militia in the Mexican War; member of the State assembly in 1853; served as commissioner of the Wisconsin Board of Public Works; served ten years as chairman of the Winnebago County Board of Supervisors; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-second Congress (March 4, 1891-March 3, 1893); unsuccessful candidate for renomination in 1892; died in Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wis., December 4, 1902; interment in Riverside Cemetery.

From the United States Congress website.

He was born Lucas Militiades Nicholas, his father was killed in the Greek Revolution )1821 - 1829) by the Turks and his mother died shortly after.

Col. Miller's first business was that of land speculation in which he owned over 500 acres most of in the city. He also donated the land for the Winnebago County Court House when Oshkosh was selected for the seat.

Oshkosh Yacht Club

The yacht house was built in 1897 as a floating loft and was first located just east of the Chicago Northwestern RR Bridge on the north shore on Bay St. The building was moved to North Park in July of 1903 by the Cook & Brown Co. tug "M. D. Moore". In 1903 the breakwater ("Monkey Island") was built to protect the sailboats and the building. The group built a new club house in 1903 at the foot Washington Ave. (now the Legion).

Orig/copy Original