|Title||First National Bank Building|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Gelatin print of the old First National Bank Building.|
First National Bank of Oshkosh
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Collection||First National Bank|
|Cataloged by||Cross, Scott|
Close up view taken looking toward the front old First National Bank Building in Oshkosh WI and showing the front doors. Taken shortly after the building was vacated by the bank.
The First National Bank of Oshkosh has also been know as the Old National and the Commercial National. It was founded in 1852. It was officially named First National in 1863. It absorbed several other Oshkosh banks including the German National Bank (1909), the Commercial National Bank (1919), and the Security National Bank (1937). Prior to 1971 the bank became the First Wisconsin National Bank, and in 1992 became Firstar Bank. The old building was vacated in 1974. The first building was located on the north-west corner of Main Street and High and was destroyed by fire in 1875. A new building was erected that year on the north-east corner of Main Street and Washington Avenue. This building was replaced in 1910 and that building was replaced in 1927. The building constructed in 1927 is still standing. Men associated with the bank were Ansel W. Kellogg; John Fitzgerald; Philetus Sawyer; Edgar Sawyer; Phil Sawyer; Joseph H. Porter; Moses Hooper; Samuel M. Hay; Louis Schriber; and Leighton Hough.