|Title||Oshkosh Powerboat Club|
|Object Name||Postcard, Lithographic|
|Description||A color lithographic postcard of the clubhouse & dock of the Oshkosh Powerboat Club, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.|
Rockwell, George A.
Lake Butte des Morts
Oshkosh Power Boat Club
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Radig, Dan|
A color lithographic postcard of the clubhouse & dock of the Oshkosh Powerboat Club, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
The image shows several people standing on the dock with other folks up by the clubhouse. In the foreground is a flag flying the emblem of the club (a ship's steering wheel). This image is reproduced on several different postcards.
The club was organized on February 21, 1905, when 25 power boat owners gathered at the Athearn Hotel. It was incorporated on March 13. 1905.
The land for the club was purchased on April 6, 1906, from F. H. Hull, on which to construct a clubhouse. Lacking enough money to build a permanent structure at the time, two out-buildings were constructed.
Plans for the new clubhouse were drawn on May 7, 1906, by the late George A. Rockwell, an Oshkosh architect. Construction cost $1400 and building was formally opened July 12, 1906.
The clubhouse was razed by fire September 1, 1957, soon after a new clubhouse was constructed and served the club until 1998 when the property was sold, however the group it self is still active.
Current address: 5121 State Highway 45 along Lake Butte des Morts.
The organization's first commodore was Oshkosh surgeon Dr. J. A. Sargent.
Similar to: P2003.20.963