|Title||Wenzel Miller's Meat Market|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Gelatin print on cardstock of Wenzel Miller's Meat Market|
Miller, Caroline Drexler
Kellermann, Theresa Miller
Frank, Anna Miller
Small Commercial Enterprises
Horse drawn vehicles
|Copyright||Oshkosh Public Museum|
|Cataloged by||Cross, Scott|
Exterior view of Wenzel Miller's Meat Market, or the 6th Ward Meat Market at 601 West Sixth Avenue in Oshkosh. The building is located on the south west corner with Ohio Street. Wenzel Miller is standing with many of the members of his family in front of the shop: Caroline Drexler Miller; Frank and Herman Miller (butchers), Theresa Miller; Anna Miller; John Miller; Katherine Miller, and possibly Mary Miller. The shop was started sometime priot to 1895. John Kellermann's house is just visible at right (no longer standing). The Pabst Exchange saloon is visible on Ohio at left. Wenzel and his family lived across the street.
Wenzel Mueller/Miller was born in Austria on June 10, 1845. He immigrated to the United States prior to 1872. He married Caroline Drexler/Drechsler and the couple had at least fourteen children: Mary, born 1872; Elvina, born 1873; Herman, born July 1874; Theresa, born May 5, 1876; Anna, born March 1879; Frank, born February 21, 1881; Joseph, born February 1883; Albina and Emma, born November 10, 1885; an unnamed son born March 29, 1886; John, born March 29, 1888; Louis, born September 6, 1889; and Clara, born June 16, 1891. The family settled in Oshkosh prior to 1876 and lived on the south side on Sixth Avenue near Ohio Street. He opened a saloon on Sixth Avenue next to his home by 1884. By 1895 he opened a meat market next to the saloon. He died in Oshkosh on January 5, 1932. Caroline died June 2, 1925.